Melancholy waking dreams as I stumble once again into Hattiesburg. Progress and development have finally come and with it interminable traffic common to heat-bloomed southern towns grown large. The college version of me – Du4.0? – would have loved seeing all of these new things, these new places popping up all over… at last, new playgrounds on which to explore.
It just makes the today me tired.
I sit here in the bar where they named a whiskey & coffee drink after my father, and I cannot help but be consumed by memories of my four year exile in Hattiesburg, this a place in which I often regret getting stuck, but also one I am inevitably glad trapped me given my father’s eventual fate. A lot of good times I passed here with my Dad. However, this site is now marked by tepid fears of encountering locals who I’ve not seen since the funeral…a long yard of doomed smiles, faked well wishes, and eventual murder of the English language. It is southern Mississippi, after all.
With that melancholy Kerouac quote, I turn mine eyes west and southwards, saddling a well oiled rubber-footed beast to drive, drive, drive. Firstly, I shall flagellate myself with adventures never before experienced in Nashville and continue Down South to the hellish humidity of Hattiesburg. Strong madness still consumes that town. Perhaps I’ll recount this adventure here as it reveals itself to me.
A mighty welcome to so many of you lovely new consumers to this blog. Traffic whore I am, I value your boundless criticism of the horrors chronicled within. It is only through such murderous sadism that we writers find the divining rods to a life less ordinary.
See you on the road.
This is Must. Be. AWESOME!!! Dot com.
I have a sickness for AWESOME guitars. I love the design of a supercool Les Paul or the sleek lines of a Firebird. Gold humbuckers and brightly polished Bigsbys dazzle me. During SXSW 2011, I wandered through the guitar show one day and snapped a ton of photos. Here are some of my favorite axes that I discovered that day.
- Fender – Mark Knopfler Stratocaster (fmiyar.com)
- My Guitars (charlie10m.wordpress.com)
- 50 Crazy Kick-Axe Guitars [PHOTOS] (coedmagazine.com)
- UK’s First ‘Robot’ Guitar Arrives at Hollywood Music Shop (prweb.com)
- Steampunk guitar – for modern rockstars with Industrial edge (punjapit.wordpress.com)
- Fender – Ritchie Blackmore Stratocaster (fmiyar.com)
- Fender – Dave Murray Stratocaster (fmiyar.com)
- Purchasing Your Guitar (jmcartee.wordpress.com)
- RUSH – Gibson Introduces The Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess (bravewords.com)